Unlike MS paint, windows 7 make no improvement on the notepad. But thanks to Don ho, who has given us Notepad++, which has been titled as the "Programmer's Dream". This freebie was developed on 2003 using C++. It supports various programming languages. It totally deserves the name " notepad '++' ". It runs in MS windows environment. It processes code fast and occupies less space
An advantage of tab feature is that it allows you to work on two different files or two different languages.
Languages supported by Notepad++ (wiki):
- Ada, asp, Assembly, AutoIt
- C, C++, C#, Caml, Cmake, COBOL, CSS
- D, Diff
- Flash ActionScript, Fortran
- Gui4CLI, Go
- Haskell, HTML
- LISP, Lua
- Makefile, Matlab, MS-DOS, INI file
- NSIS, Normal Text File
- Pascal, Perl, PHP, PostScript, PowerShell, Properties file, Python
- R, Resource file, Ruby
- Shell, Scheme, Smalltalk, SQL
- TCL, TeX
- Visual Basic, VHDL, Verilog
Other general features in Notepad++ (again wiki) :
- Tabbed document interface
- Multiple clipboards (plugin required)
- Split screen editing and synchronized scrolling
- Spell checker (requires Aspell) (Spell checker does not distinguish between text and code)
- Supports text encoding formats such as Unicode, for international writing systems. UTF-8 and several UTF-16 encodings are supported.
- Find and replace: with regular expressions (including multi-line); over multiple documents; and marking/summary of occurrences
- File comparison
Source code editing features include (you know):
- Syntax highlighting and syntax folding
- Brace and indent highlighting
- Smart highlighting
- Project manager
- Regular expression find and replace (in Perl compatible extent)
- Speech synthesis
- FTP Browser (plug-in included in standard installation)
- Macro recording and execution.
- Various tools such as line sorting, text encoding conversion, text folding
- File status auto-detection
- Customizable shortcut key mapping.
All that for programers. For others, it's is just like the normal notepad with a few unnecessary features.By the way, this was not developed by windows, it was developed by a 3rd party.
This application was listed in "top ten apps for windows 7" at the 10th position right below Adobe reader.
Download notepad++ here :